About The School
The History of Eichold-Mertz Magnet School of math, science & technology
Eichold-Mertz Magnet school was the former Chickasaw Elementary School built by the Tennessee Coal, Iron, and Railroad Company in 1971 to educate the employees' children. During the 1921 school year, Chickasaw Elementary School became a part of the Mobile County Public School system. As a part of the Birdie Mae Davis settlement, Chickasaw School became Chickasaw Magnet School of Mathematics and Science and included an extended day program. In June 2010, Chickasaw Magnet School relocated to the former Clark Magnet School building erected in 1951. On June 2, 2012, the City of Chickasaw separated from the Mobile County Public School System to create its own city school system, securing all three buildings that previously housed the former Chickasaw Magnet School. On June 6, 2014, MCPSS Magnet School was moved into the Eichold-Mertz Magnet School, named for the works of the late Dr. Samuel Eichold II, an internist and Navy veteran who was a nationally known diabetes expert, founder of the Mobile Medical Museum and local history buff and preservationist. He and his wife Charlotte were co-founders of Camp Seale Harris a summer camp for diabetic children. The name Mertz came from an agreement between the school board and the Lundy family, who donated the land on which the school was built, in honor of an area farmer who fought to have a railroad spur for farmers to ship their produce by railway versus having to take their produce to the foot of Government Street.